WINNIPEG, Canada - An adorable otter has been rescued far from home after being found under a dumpster. Students spotted the otter under the dumpster in downtown Winnipeg.
The local humane society rounded up the animal and took him to a shelter.
His arrival Friday turned heads since otters are rarely seen in the city.
- 2 juveniles killed in I-80 crash involving SUV, tractor-trailers
- Philadelphia home listed with '50 shades room' goes viral
- Local father selling cupcakes to raise money for 5-year-old son with brain tumor
- VIDEO: Girl Scouts sell cookies outside marijuana stores
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The shelter is assessing his condition to figure out a course of treatment. The otter is a little underweight but is expected to recover from the ordeal and eventually return to his natural habitat in a river.
An official at the shelter says he may have left his home in the Red River that runs through Winnipeg while looking for food, but lost access to the water during a recent freeze.