AMBRIDGE, Pa. — The decomposing bodies of two men were found in a home in Ambridge Tuesday night, authorities said.
A neighbor called police about 9:30 p.m. to report a strong odor coming from the area, thinking it was a dead animal, police said.
Officers who responded to the call noticed the smell was coming from a home on Elm Road and that mail was piling up. They called the fire department for backup.
Upon climbing a fire ladder to reach the second floor of the home, a police officer spotted one body on the floor in a hallway, authorities said.
- Lemieux lists massive Quebec estate for $22 million
- 2 bodies found in home; investigators seen wearing hazmat suits
- British Airways announces nonstop service from Pittsburgh to London
- Severe Weather Team 11 Interactive Radar
- RAW VIDEO: Groundhog stranded on fence by flooding
Investigators surrounded the home after the discovery was made. Police and crews wearing hazmat suits were seen going in and out of the home.
Once inside, investigators found a second badly decomposed body.
Police believe two elderly men lived in the home. Neighbors said one of the men was taking care of the other, and he had a series of health issues.
Causes of death have not been determined, but police said the deaths are being treated as suspicious and it will take time to identify the bodies.
Cox Media Group