JEANNETTE, Pa. — They put their lives on the line, rushing into burning buildings to help people in need.
Firefighters in Jeannette are on the front lines in an emergency. But they got a helping hand from a local business that could help them stay safe.
The Firefighter Cancer Support Network says firefighters are 2.5 times more likely to get cancer than the average person. One reason for that is the toxins that they’re exposed to on the job. Toxic smoke and gases from fire can saturate a firefighter’s gear. William Frye, with the Jeannette Fire Department, told Channel 11 it takes about two days to properly decontaminate a set of gear.
A local manufacturing company, Elliott Group, saw Channel 11′s story last year about the needs facing firefighters and stepped in to help.
The company donated $10,000 to purchase secondary gear for non-fire calls. Frye said those types of emergencies make up the majority of their calls.
"Only 10% of our calls are structure fires, so essentially this stuff could be used nine times more than what the firefighting gear can be used," Frye said.
The Elliot Company told Channel 11′s Michelle Chavez, after seeing our story, that they realized they had enough money in the budget for a donation and wrote the check.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group