PITTSBURGH - People living in Mount Washington want action and answers when it comes to a crumbling sidewalk right near the Overlook.
People say the sidewalk along Grandview Avenue has been a mess for almost two full months. It’s cracking and crumbling in big chunks, and light is even poking through to the hillside below.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news.
CLICK HERE to find out how
The Department of Public Works has put up barriers to prevent people from walking on the problem spot, but there is a growing concern that people could fall or otherwise hurt themselves.
"It's actually kind of scary. And it's a shame because so many people come up here to see our beautiful city and they see something like this and wonder what's going on?" Elizabeth Guenther said.
The city told Channel 11 it is aware of the issue and is studying how to rebuild the sidewalk.
"Unfortunately, it's not a regular sidewalk that can just be repoured with concrete. It is supported by beams, not regular soil, so the repair is going to be difficult," the city said.
This hole in the sidewalk near a popular Mt. Washington overlook is more than just an eyesore, it's a safety risk. https://t.co/HoWi8ci7wh | @WPXIMikeHolden is learning why repairs haven't happened yet, NOW on 11 News. pic.twitter.com/X6AuTIDKyb— WPXI (@WPXI) May 16, 2019
- Texts between driver, owner of car in deadly hit-and-run help lead to arrest
- Swimmers beware: 15-foot great white shark tracked off coast of Carolinas
- Woman forced young girl to get birth control implant in her arm, police say
- VIDEO: Window washers trapped in dangling lift rescued by Oklahoma City firefighters
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.