STOWE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A man was driving under the influence when he sped away from a traffic stop and crashed his rental car early Monday morning in Stowe Township, police said.
Lamar Castile, 39, was driving along Broadway Avenue when he was pulled over just before 2 a.m. after making an illegal turn on red, according to police. Officers said he kept driving for about a block before pulling over.
Police said Castile was visibly intoxicated when the officers got out of their car and went over to him. As they were talking with Castile, he sped away in the car.
The car made it about 200 feet before it plowed into two parked vehicles, then continued to 12th Street where a wheel fell off, authorities said. Both parked vehicles and Castile’s rental car were totaled.
“I’m thankful that no one got hurt. I mean, it’s sad that I lost my car and my neighbor lost her car,” Cheri Zielinski, whose car was hit, said.
Police said Castile admitted to being drunk and high, telling officers he had a couple drinks and had just smoked marijuana.
- Steelers' Anthony Chickillo charged with assault after incident with girlfriend
- Road closures, security measures announced ahead of President Trump's visit to Pittsburgh
- DUI driver arrested after speeding away from traffic stop, crashing into cars, police say
- VIDEO: Bride and grooms’ grandmothers serve as flower girls at her wedding
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Castile was arrested and was found to have more than 250 stamp bags of heroin, as well as marijuana, ecstasy, a loaded gun, five cellphones and $740, police said.
When police ran Castile’s license, they determined it was suspended because of a previous DUI.
Charges against Castile include DUI, fleeing or attempting to elude police and reckless driving. He’s also facing gun and drug possession charges.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.