PITTSBURGH - A backhoe cut through a water line Monday in Pittsburgh’s Hays neighborhood, causing significant flooding in the area, officials said.
Repairs continue Tuesday at the scene at the intersection of Baldwin and Glass Run roads. Baldwin Road is closed.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
When the backhoe broke through the line, thousands of gallons of water flooded the intersection. A dump truck then started to fall into the hole.
Robert Wiliamowski, the driver of the dump truck, said he felt the road begin to give way and he was able to climb out safely.
The flooding was bad enough that a man needed to be rescued from his front porch.
Water entered the basements of some homes, but damage was minor.
Wiliamowski said he was part of a team working to dig a catch basin, and the water line wasn't marked properly.
- Fire burning, possibly bringing down power lines in Westmoreland County
- Sullivan lauds ‘fight' vs. loaded Buffalo lineup
- Lawmaker proposes raising age for tobacco, vaping products in Pennsylvania
- VIDEO: Calls for WPIAL to investigate after alleged racial slurs during high school soccer
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.