NEW CASTLE, Pa. - An elderly woman was killed in a house fire in New Castle, according to investigators.
Firefighters were initially called to the home in the 1700 block of Gretchen Avenue around 2 p.m. Sunday for reports that a woman may have been trapped inside the burning building.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Lawrence County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Fire officials told Channel 11 that crews were able to put out the fire fairly quickly, but the coroner’s office confirmed an elderly woman was killed.
The victim’s name has not yet been released, but she lived alone in that house.
Fire officials said there was severe damage to the kitchen, and the rest of the home suffered severe heat damage.
- Carrie Underwood surprises local high school athletes with donation
- Tense moments at ‘Joker' movie in Ohio, man subdued by patrons
- Boil water advisory expanded, some people asked to conserve water
- VIDEO: Mysterious lights in sky off North Carolina’s Outer Banks caught on video
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.