An elected official is accused of stealing almost $100,000 from Washington County.
Frank Scandale is accused of pocketing two dozen deposits that should have gone to the clerk of courts.
Those deposits add up to more than $96,000.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Washington County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
The investigation has been almost a year long. The controller's office found out about some of the missing money during an audit in December 2018.
And this past June, even more money was missing.
According to the criminal complaint, Scandale's deputy told him "about the missing deposits in March of 2019. Scandale responded that he assumed the deposits would work itself out and didn't alert the bank or investigate."
- Flames shoot from roof of restaurant in Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh
- NFL reduces suspension for Maurkice Pouncey following brawl during Browns game
- Recall alert: 97K pounds of salad recalled due to E. coli contamination
- VIDEO: Mom furious about tattoo daughter got during class at local high school
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Court records said Scandale also voided seven cash payments to pocket about $800.
Investigators interviewed a dozen people in the Clerk of Courts Office in order to piece together what happened.
Scandale is out of jail on $100,000 bond. He had to turn in his passport and he's not allowed to contact the victims he's accused of stealing from.
He will face a judge in about three weeks.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.