The day care fire in Erie that killed five children has been ruled accidental, according to a release from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Officials said the fire was caused by an "electrical failure associated with a routinely-used extension cord."
On Aug. 11, firefighters responded to the fire at 1248 West 11th St. around 1:11 a.m.
Five children ages 7 and younger died in the fire at the 24-hour Harris Family Daycare -- four of them were siblings.
- 'Snakehead' fish that can live on land may be invading Georgia, officials say
- Man found dead, home ransacked in Penn Hills
- Why you shouldn't rake your leaves this autumn
- VIDEO: Mother left newborn, 9-year-old inside car with keys in ignition on busy road
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The day care center had just one smoke detector, and it was upstairs in the attic.
The Department of Human Services said the old fire inspection guidelines were outdated and did not check for smoke detectors.
Last month, fire safety checks became a requirement during inspections. Smoke detectors are now required on every floor and fire extinguishers in the kitchens.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.