The ex-boyfriend of slain University of Pittsburgh student Alina Sheykhet was brought back to Pittsburgh on Friday, more than three weeks after his arrest in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Channel 11 was there when Matthew Darby's plane landed at Pittsburgh International Airport.
Now that he's back in Pittsburgh, the 21-year-old will face murder charges for the beating death of Sheykhet, 20.
Dressed in black, his handcuffs under his shirt, Darby was quickly escorted to an unmarked Allegheny County Sheriff's car and taken right to the Allegheny County Jail after the plane landed. He was arraigned Friday night.
- Ex-boyfriend of murdered Pitt student remains silent, is transferred to new facility
- Pitt student murdered: Timeline of suspect Matthew Darby's past
- Pitt student murdered: 11 things to know about ex-boyfriend Matthew Darby
- Pitt student murder: 5 things to know about Alina Sheykhet
- Friends, former classmates gather to remember murdered Pitt student
- RAW VIDEO: Student found murdered in Oakland
- Pitt student's death prompts homicide investigation
- Attorney: Murder suspect Darby's parents stand with him, urge him to surrender
"As soon as I'm able to see him, I'll be visiting with him and we'll be discussing his case and discussing his version of his events," said attorney David Shrager.
Shrager said he will try to get a bond set for Darby when he goes in front of a judge Monday.
Usually, homicide suspects don't get a bond and stay in jail until their trial.
"I'll certainly be arguing for one, but that's up to the judge," Shrager said.
Darby is charged with the murder of Sheyket inside her Oakland home on Oct. 8th.
Darby was served with a PFA that Sheykhet took out against him just two days before her murder.
The former Pitt-Greensburg basketball player was on the run for several days until his capture in Myrtle Beach, when a woman Channel 11 talked to exclusively noticed him outside her window and called 911.
Now that he's back in Pittsburgh, he's expected to be arraigned on murder charges late Friday night or early Saturday morning.
- UPMC announces 3 new, digitally-based, specialty hospitals
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Pitt student's murder returns to Pittsburgh
- PHOTOS: Westmoreland County's Most Wanted
- RAW VIDEO: Burglary at The Bible Chapel
Sheykhet’s parents found her body inside her Cable Place home in Oakland she shared with roommates.
Darby was arrested Oct. 11 in Myrtle Beach and taken to a detention center in Conway, South Carolina, to await extradition.
Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala said Darby is also accused of raping a 17-year-old girl in Elizabeth Township just days before Sheykhet’s muder. He's also accused of a rape in Indiana County earlier in 2017.
Shrager told Channel 11 that Darby and his parents have a long legal road ahead of them.
"They're devastated that their son is in this situation; they're devastated that a young lady has lost her life," Shrager said.
The Sheykhet family's attorney told Channel 11 they will monitor Darby's bond hearing Monday morning and will likely have a comment at that time.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.