DERRY TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Fierce winds caused damage across a Westmoreland County community Tuesday.
The damage to the post office in Derry was so bad that it had to close.
"So far, there's not a lot of damage inside. We're tarping everything inside to keep the damage electronically," building owner Erick Ecker said.
If you want to receive BREAKING ALERTS, please download our WPXI News App.
Winds picked up again Tuesday night with gusts to 40 and 45 mph and a wind advisory has been issued through 4 p.m. Wednesday.
The roof was also blown off of the Ridgeview Veterinarian Clinic, which is down the road from the post office.
"I actually thought the wind flipped a car over it was that loud. And ran out front and saw the roof coming off," clinic employee Hollie McDowell said.
While the veterinarian clinic was deemed structurally sound and will remain open, the post office will be closed for at least two days. Residents are advised that all mail will go through New Derry.
- Antonio Brown thanks Steelers Nation, tweets 'time to move on and forward'
- 2 arrested in possible kidnapping of woman bound in home
- Bill would charge pregnant women using drugs if baby is harmed, born addicted
- VIDEO: Boys stop to honor American flag in heartwarming viral photo
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.