PITTSBURGH - Frankie, the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium's baby gorilla, turned 1 on Sunday.
Moka, 22, gave birth to her second son, Frankie, last May while on exhibit. The zoo said since many guests had the opportunity to witness his birth, they wanted to share his birthday with all of the visitors.
Sunday's celebration included streamers and wrapped birthday presents with Frankie's favorite things, including peanuts and vegetables.
The zoo said Frankie is an ambassador for western lowland gorillas in the wild. They are currently listed as critically endangered, as their population is rapidly decreasing.
- One person shot after fight in Uniontown bar
- Victim identified in Stowe Township bar shooting
- Teen couldn't bring boyfriend to prom, takes him to Pirates game instead
- VIDEO: Texas Men Died Attempting to Jump Car Across Drawbridge, Police Said
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.