SPRINGDALE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - UPDATE (2/27/19): Freeport Road has reopened to traffic in Springdale Township, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced Wednesday morning.
ORIGINAL STORY: A landslide sent trees and mud onto a road in Springdale Township Friday morning.
Freeport Road is closed between Riddle Run Road and the C.L. Schmitt Bridge, more commonly referred to as the New Kensington Bridge.
The landslide was reported about 6:30 a.m. Officials from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation said the slide was still active as of late Friday morning.
For safety reasons, crews are not immediately clearing the debris. The hillside will be monitored over the weekend, when wet weather is expected, according to PennDOT.
It could be Monday or later before the landslide is deemed safe to clear, PennDOT officials said.
David's Diner, which is located along the stretch of road that is shut down, closed Friday, one of the businesses busiest days. However, police said they will be allowing local traffic through to businesses like the diner.
BREAKING: this stretch of Freeport Road in Springdale Twp shutdown from big landslide. David’s Diner is right in the middle of the closure, owners say Fridays are normally super busy & this is going to hurt @WPXI pic.twitter.com/0i63wyKVw4— Liz Kilmer (@LizKilmerWPXI) February 22, 2019
“It actually started with one tree and it just kept on coming down,” David Speed, owner of David’s Diner, said.
The following detours are posted while the closure of Freeport Road remains in place:
SOUTH OF THE SLIDE
- Take Riddle Run Road to Murray Hill Road (Route 1014)
- Turn left onto Murray Hill Road
- Murray Hill Road becomes Hite Road
- Turn right onto Pittsburgh Mills Boulevard (Route 1049)
- Merge onto northbound Route 28
- Take the Russellton/Creighton (Exit 13) off-ramp
- Turn right onto Crawford Run Road
- Follow Crawford Run Road back to Freeport Road
- End detour
NORTH OF THE SLIDE
- From Freeport Road, turn right onto Bailies Run Road
- Turn right onto the ramp to southbound Route 28 toward Pittsburgh
- Take the Pittsburgh Mills Boulevard (Exit 12A) off-ramp
- Turn left onto Pittsburgh Mills Boulevard
- Turn left onto Hite Road
- Hite Road becomes Murray Hill Road
- Turn right onto Riddle Run Road
- Follow Riddle Run Road back to Freeport Road
- End detour
- Mother charged after baby revived with Narcan after overdose
- Anonymous letter could shed light on decades-old disappearance
- If proven, 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett allegations could be a 'career killer'
- VIDEO: Vintage Disney VHS tapes could be worth big bucks, listed for as much as $10,000 on eBay
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.