Maintenance worker taken to hospital after smelling chlorine at North Hills High School

ROSS TOWNSHIP, Pa. — The smell of chlorine at North Hills High School led to a hazmat situation and one person being taken to a hospital Monday morning, officials said.

A maintenance worker noticed the smell about 6:30 a.m. after walking into the pool area, a spokesperson for the North Hills School District said.

Crews were called to the high school to ventilate the area, the spokesperson said. They also walked through the building with a meter to test chlorine levels.

The leak was secured and the situation was resolved in about an hour, according to the spokesperson.

As a precaution, the maintenance worker was taken to a hospital for observation, the spokesperson said.