Channel 11's news exchange partners at TribLIVE reported that the Slicksville Volunteer Fire Department in Westmoreland County responded to Stonehouse Stables shortly after 2 p.m. Saturday.
Fire chief Bobby Rosatti said arriving emergency personnel found both horse and rider dead. The rider, a woman who was not immediately identified, was pinned beneath the fallen animal.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Westmoreland County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Stable owner Jene Chelens told authorities he had been watching the woman ride the horse, Reuben, in an outdoor riding ring but turned his back for a few minutes and returned to find rider and horse on the ground.
A veterinarian was evaluating the animal to determine the cause of death.
Information from: Tribune-Review, http://triblive.com
- Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger out for season after elbow injury
- It's just a drill: You might see low-flying helicopters, hear explosions this week in Pittsburgh
- School custodian comforts student with autism in heartwarming viral photo
- VIDEO: girl, 10, contracts brain-eating amoeba while swimming in river, family says
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.