PITTSBURGH - Have you been told you owe money for missing jury duty recently? The U.S. Marshals are warning that you could be the victim of a scam.
According to federal investigators, people are receiving calls saying they failed to show up at jury duty in federal court, and they have to make a payment to avoid arrest.
“Unfortunately, these types of shady schemes surface with all too frequent regularity,” the U.S. Marshals said in a statement.
It’s unclear how many people have been targeted with the scam, but the U.S. Marshals said there may be people who did not know they were being taken advantage of.
To report this type of activity and to avoid being victimized, The U.S. Marshals ask the people to call 412-644-6628.
- Texts between driver, owner of car in deadly hit-and-run help lead to arrest
- Swimmers beware: 15-foot great white shark tracked off coast of Carolinas
- Woman forced young girl to get birth control implant in her arm, police say
- VIDEO: Window washers trapped in dangling lift rescued by Oklahoma City firefighters
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.