PITTSBURGH — It's a family tradition for many of us: donning the hat and gloves, heading downtown and taking in all of the holiday action at Light Up Night.
Pittsburgh police said they are already working to be ready for the large crowds.
“As a native of this region, I am very much aware that Light Up Night is a wonderful Pittsburgh tradition that is especially popular with families,” Director of Public Safety Wendell Hissrich said. “As Public Safety director, I can assure everyone planning on attending that we have taken steps to make this a safe experience for all.”
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Hissrich said there will be a zero-tolerance policy for anyone breaking the law.
Drones will not be allowed to fly overhead, police said.
Temperatures are expected to be in the 40s, but wind chills will fall to the mid to upper 20s by the evening.
Traffic, as always, will be an issue. City officials urge people attending to use public transportation.
Officials said they will have a large police presence at the downtown event, utilizing uniformed, plainclothes and mounted units.
This summer, a shooting followed the Fourth of July fireworks display. Several other violent incidents in the downtown area have caused concern in recent months, as well.
Keep scrolling down for a list of road closures
Friday, November 22
7:00 a.m. – Midnight Closures
- Roberto Clemente (6th Street) Bridge
- Fort Duquesne Boulevard between Stanwix Street & 7th Street (riverside lanes only)
- Penn Avenue between 6th Street & Stanwix Street
- Stanwix Street between Fort Duquesne Boulevard & Liberty Avenue (northbound lanes)
- (Partial Closure) Cecil Place between Fort Duquesne Boulevard & Penn Avenue
9:00 a.m. – Midnight Closures
- Penn Avenue Extension between Stanwix Street & Gateway Center Three
4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Closures
- Fourth Avenue between Stanwix Street & Wood Street
4:00 p.m. – Midnight Closures
- Market Square
- Forbes Avenue between Stanwix Street & Market Square
- Graeme Street between Fifth Avenue & Market Square
- Market Street between Fifth Avenue & Market Square
6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Closures
- Stanwix Street between Fort Duquesne Boulevard & Liberty Avenue (southbound lanes)
© 2020 Cox Media Group