A Kirwan Heights firefighter died on Monday after a long battle with heart problems.
Channel 11 told you when Aaron Card, 29, received a heart transplant in 2017. Our thoughts are with his family and his fellow firefighters.
Family and friends called him "one of a kind." And his family said no matter what he was going through, he never gave up his drive or his fight.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
"He was in the hospital for a month, but to his credit, his reputation, his ethic... he pulled right back up. He said I'm not ready to be done," said his wife Tira Card.
Despite more treatments, Aaron Card passed away on Monday.
His wife told Channel 11 he gave back even after death.
"He was able to donate cornea, tissue and bone, and that was very important to him to give back as much as he could give back," she said.
Because of Card's preexisting condition, he could not get life insurance, so the medical bills have been mounting for his family.
The family has set up a GoFundMe account.
- Owners of Double Wide Grill to close one of their restaurants
- Winning $1 million scratch-off lottery ticket sold at local Sheetz
- Studio exec suggested Julia Roberts play Harriet Tubman
- VIDEO: Channel 11 takes you to Nevada desert where man allegedly confessed to murdering local woman
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.