PITTSBURGH - A Lyft driver told police he was attacked by a passenger in Shadyside.
According to police, the driver was forced to pull over and get out at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Murral Hill Road.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Two women and a man were passengers.
“As he drove the passengers on 5th Avenue, the male started accusing him of taking a long route to their destination," said Chris Togneri with Pittsburgh police. “The male passenger told him to get out of the car. The driver did so and the male passenger pushed him to the ground on 5th Avenue."
- Police: Naked juveniles try to evade girl's dad after being found in bed together
- High school senior hopes to marry the love of his life while fighting rare cancer
- 19-year-old killed when tractor-trailer overturns onto his car on Steubenville Pike
- VIDEO: Police: Alcohol not believed to be a factor in deadly Route 65 crash
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
According to police, the female passengers grabbed the suspect, took him across the street, then got into a different car and drove off.
It's not clear who the second car belonged to.
The Lyft driver told police he has some back pain from the assault.
A representative from Lyft sent Channel 11 the following statement:
"Safety is our top priority and there is no place in the Lyft community for violence of any kind. We have permanently banned the rider from the Lyft community, spoke with the driver to extend our support, and are in touch with law enforcement to assist with their investigation."
© 2019 Cox Media Group.