Man pulled from smoke-filled Pittsburgh apartment as recliner chair burned

PITTSBURGH — A man was rushed to a hospital after he was found on the ground as smoke filled his apartment early Wednesday morning in Pittsburgh’s Carrick neighborhood, authorities said.

Firefighters also found a recliner chair on fire as they entered the man’s apartment, located in a building along Churchview Avenue.

Smoke was reported throughout the building just after 1 a.m., and residents were evacuating as firefighters pulled up to the scene.

When crews noticed heavy smoke coming from the man’s apartment, they went inside and pulled him out, officials said. Once out of the building, the man was taken by paramedics to a hospital in critical condition.

A woman who lives in the building was evaluated for smoke inhalation, but officials said she was not taken to a hospital.

Investigators said the fire is believed to be accidental. It was contained to the one apartment, but seven others sustained minor smoke and moderate water damage.