PENN HILLS, Pa. - An elderly couple in their 90s was killed over the weekend in a kitchen fire inside a Penn Hills home.
Penn Hills Fire Marshal Just returned to the home where elderly couple died in weekend fire. He told me their were no working smoke alarms in the house. The 95 & 96 year old were found just a few feet away from each other when they passed away from smoke inhalation. @WPXI pic.twitter.com/w1LP72gghJ— Mike Holden (@WPXIMikeHolden) October 15, 2018
The Penn Hills fire marshal returned to the Beulah Road home late Monday morning and told Channel 11's Mike Holden there were no working smoke alarms in the home.
The damage to the home is barely visible, but it's where the Allegheny County medical examiner said a husband and wife, Leslie and Marianne Frost, passed away Saturday morning.
The Penn Hills police chief says the fire apparently started on the stove while they were cooking.
The Frosts were quickly overcome by the smoke.
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle announce pregnancy
- New mass times, priest reassignments begin for parishes in Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Police, motorcycle gang brawl at South Side bar
- VIDEO: Deputies Use Doritos to Corral Pig 'The Size of a Mini Horse'
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Fire crews found the couple when they were called out to the scene.
Neighbors say the 95 and 96-year-olds lived there for as long as they could remember.
They called this a terrible, tragic ending, but they say at least the couple passed together
“Sad. It was just sad. And once you found they were gone, it was like, oh my gosh! What a terrible way to end your life,” a neighbor told Channel 11.
No one else was at the home when fire officials found the elderly couple.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.