The fire broke out around 3 a.m. Sunday at Heather Glen Senior Living facility in Upper Macungie Township outside Allentown. Flames raced up a rear wall and spread to the roof.
Firefighters used ladders to rescue at least a half-dozen residents.
Two firefighters were injured.
Upper Macungie Fire Chief Edgardo Colon says it took "a lot of creativity" to get everyone out safely.
The cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
The senior center's residents will have to live elsewhere while the building is repaired.
- Officials identify 3 men found dead after drug overdoses on Pittsburgh's South Side
- Police warning of tainted drugs after South Side overdose deaths
- Protesters demand gas stations shut down after violent fight goes viral
- VIDEO: Road shut down as students in Pittsburgh leave school for climate strike
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.