PITTSBURGH - A woman from another part of the state stole more than $100,000 from a Pittsburgh-area homebuyer, police said.
Investigators said the wire fraud scam focused on a mortgage payment for the home that was intercepted.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for news stories in Allegheny County. CLICK HERE to find out how.
The suspect is Kathy Walley and police said the Harrisburg woman's online romance with a man she met on Facebook landed her in a Pittsburgh jail. According to investigators, a huge amount of money Walley moved came from a couple in Pine Township who were trying to buy their retirement home. The couple wired cash to a settlement company approved by their mortgage lender and that's when Walley somehow intercepted the money.
"The victims notified us, said they went through the proper process that they were told to do and they still became a victim," Northern Regional Detective Scott Rick said.
Rick said police believe there are absolutely more victims in the Pittsburgh area.
- Missing toddler found dead in Blairsville, sources tell Channel 11
- Group armed with gun demands chicken sandwiches from Houston Popeyes
- Hurricane Dorian: Storm remains stationary over Bahamas, may soon head northwest
- VIDEO: AMBER ALERT: Search underway in Westmoreland Co. for abducted toddler
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.