PITTSBURGH - A new 280-unit apartment complex will soon join the SouthSide Works.
The $56 million project is just steps away from UPMC's Rooney Sports Complex and walking distance to the SouthSide Works.
Crews will break ground Wednesday on the project along Sidney Street.
The shovels are in place.... TWG preparing to break ground on “Connection @ South Side Apartments.” Construction expected to be completed by May 2021. 280 multi family apartment units. Affordable! @WPXI pic.twitter.com/nkTaizJ4XG— Mike Holden (@WPXIMikeHolden) June 26, 2019
Young professionals say they are already looking into apartment availability.
"I really like South Side because it has a lot of good music and art and friendly people," said Peter Herman.
The area has been booming with development, but there have been struggles in recent years to fill empty storefronts. The hope is this new complex will help drive up that demand.
The developer said the hope is to have construction complete by summer 2021.
- Man killed trying to force way into home
- Woman taunts McDonald's employee for sleeping at work; turns out there's more to the story
- Undercover officers may be getting drunk on the job, Target 11 discovers
- VIDEO: Common drugs linked to dementia
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.