Lawyers for Bowers were in federal court Thursday for a status conference.
Bowers is accused of killing 11 people in October at the synagogue in Squirrel Hill.
Bowers wasn’t in the courtroom, but his attorneys say they met with federal prosecutors to try and reach a plea deal.
UPDATE: Status conference with Robert Bowers wraps up after a few minutes. Bowers’ attorneys say they’ve met with federal prosecutors to try to reach a plea deal. Prosecutors say no decision has been made about a plea or whether they’ll pursue the death penalty— Aaron Martin (@WPXIAaronMartin) May 23, 2019
Prosecutors say they haven’t decided about a plea deal or if they will ask for the death penalty in the case.
The next status hearing is scheduled for Aug. 5.
- Wife of rabbi at Tree of Life during shooting speaks out against death penalty
- Tree of Life synagogue shooting suspect arraigned on new charges in federal court
- Mayor Peduto talks about controversial, proposed gun reform law
- VIDEO: Mayor Peduto calls out DA for gun control comments, says 'arrest me'
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.