JEANNETTE, Pa. - A new neighbor in Jeannette is causing a stir for some residents because of the smell its putting off.
The new hemp-drying facility in Jeannette is running 24/7 and employs over 200 people, but some neighbors say the pungent smell is overwhelming. The smell has launched complaints into city hall and the Department of Environmental Protection.
The facility dries hemp to make it into smokeable flower for medicinal purposes, and Channel 11's Melanie Marsalko got an inside look at the process.
- Panera Bread defends mac and cheese after employee posts video on TikTok
- WATCH: 'Wheel of Fortune' contestant jokes about 'loveless marriage,' being 'cursed' with stepkids
- Exclusive: ExxonMobil scouting for potential cracker site in Beaver County
- VIDEO: Man in custody after ramming police car, leading them on chase
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The DEP told Channel 11 an inspector issued a violation of malodors after checking the facility out in September.
The company has since added air scrubbers, but it wants to keep working with the city and its leaders to keep the booming industry there.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.