PITTSBURGH — The murder of 20-year-old Pitt student Alina Sheykhet has shocked the community and those who knew her.
Sheykhet was found unconscious inside a home in a home in the 3500 block of Cable Place Oakland on Sunday.
Since her death, we have learned more about her life.
Here are five things we’ve learned about Alina Sheykhet:
1. Alina Sheykhet was originally from Russia. Her brother, Artem Sheykhet, said their family moved here when she was 4 years old.
2. Alina was a graduate of Montour High School.
3. Her family has described her as "a beautiful and smart girl with a bright future." She was going to school at Pitt to become a physical therapist.
4. While attending school in Oakland, Channel 11 learned she was working at the front desk at the Marriott in Oakland.
5. Channel 11 learned that Alina recently became an aunt. Her brother and his wife just had their first child.
Courtney Brennan is working this story and will have any new developments on Channel 11 News, starting at 5 p.m.
Police continue to investigate leads into her death. Police said Monday they do not believe it was a random act of violence.
The medical examiner said she died of sharp/blunt force trauma. Her death was ruled a homicide.
© 2020 Cox Media Group