PITTSBURGH — Matthew Darby, the ex-boyfriend of murdered University of Pittsburgh student Alina Sheykhet, was arrested in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, early Wednesday morning.
Here are 11 things we’ve learned about Matthew Darby:
1. He was arrested in Myrtle Beach after a concerned citizen reported he was tampering with a window at a home.
2. Darby’s parents had issued a plea for him to turn himself into authorities.
3. In a statement, Darby’s parents told him they love him and it might seem like the cards are stacked against him but his attorney can handle it.
4. David Shrager, Darby’s attorney, said that Darby is not a violent person.
5. Darby and his attorney were in court on Friday for a rape charge in Indiana County. His attorney said Darby seemed fine at that time.
6. Darby’s parents said they feel so sad and sorry for the victim's family.
7. Sheykhet filed a PFA against Darby last month. She said he climbed up a gutter and broke through a window in her home, and she also detailed prior abuse.
8. Darby has been charged with homicide in Sheykhet's death.
9. Darby was a student at University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg campus, but he is no longer a student there.
10. Darby was a star high school basketball player at Seneca Valley High School and played basketball at Pitt-Greensburg.
11. Police issued a BOLO, or Be On the Lookout, for Darby on Monday night, saying he was “considered armed and dangerous” and wanted for questioning as a “homicide suspect.”
© 2020 Cox Media Group