PITTSBURGH - It is much easier to pay the bills as a school district when there is a strong tax base to rely upon.
For the school districts among the 15 poorest in the region, that base does not exist.
The poorest school district in the region among 125 has residents earning less than $25,000. Twelve other districts' residents fail to top $40,000 in annual median household income, according to the most recent available U.S. Census Bureau data.
- Utah kid advertises 'ICE COLD BEER'
- ‘He was a model officer': Off-duty officer shot while visiting friends has died
- Police: Barefoot man walks into local gym and makes threats before pulling out knife
- VIDEO: Brothers, ages 1 and 3, drown in Fayette County
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Pittsburgh Business Times