PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh is one of the country's worst cities when it comes to bed bugs, according to a new list released by pest control company Orkin.
The company’s “Top 50 Bed Bug Cities" list names Pittsburgh at No. 24. The company says its list is based on treatment data when the company performed the most be bug treatments at homes and businesses from December 2016 – November 2017.
For the second year in a row, Baltimore comes on top with Washington D.C. coming in second. Philadelphia and Cleveland also made the list. You can find the full list on their website.
Orkin officials said the number of bed bug infestations in the United States is on the rise because they are not seasonal pests and they only need blood to survive.
- Notorious Boston gangster, fugitive Whitey Bulger found dead in prison
- President Trump, first lady leave Pittsburgh after trip to synagogue, hospital
- LIVE UPDATES: Another police officer released from hospital
- VIDEO: Hundreds gather for solidarity march in Squirrel Hill
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Orkin officials add the bed bugs are always in motion and can easily travel from place to place in luggage and clothing.
To help detect bed bugs, Orkin officials offered homeowners and travelers the following tips:
- Inspect your home for signs of bed bugs regularly.
- Decrease clutter around your home to make it easier to spot bed bugs on your own or during professional inspections.
- Inspect all secondhand furniture before bringing it inside your home. This is a common way for bed bugs to be introduced into homes.
- Dry potentially infested bed linens, curtains and stuffed animals on the hottest temperature allowed for the fabric.
Bed bugs are an elusive threat to your household and beyond, as they can reproduce quickly and travel on your belongings, so it’s critical to detect and treat for them as early as possible.
Anyone who suspects a bed bug infestation should contact a pest management professional immediately.
© 2020 Cox Media Group