SCOTT TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A 19-year-old woman was killed and the driver ran from the scene after a crash on the Parkway West Tuesday afternoon, police said.
All eastbound lanes were closed for more than four hours after the crash around 2 p.m. Tuesday near the Carnegie Exit.
Victoria Brandt, of South Park, died in the crash that involved four vehicles.
- Trial starts for Michael Rosfeld, officer charged in shooting of Antwon Rose
- Woman sues Olive Garden, claims stuffed mushrooms burned her throat
- Reality star Mama June arrested in Alabama on drug charges
- VIDEO: Proposal would create gun registry across Pennsylvania
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Police said the crash was essentially a chain reaction when the driver of a white Honda was speeding and tried to switch lanes, crashing into another car.
That's when a tractor-trailer tried to avoid hitting the cars, but it couldn't stop.
In addition to the woman who was killed, two females and one male were hurt.
The driver who was allegedly speeding ran from the scene and was caught by police near a gas station in Carnegie. He was taken to a hospital.
"It was a very chaotic day. Whenever you have a crash like this, you’ve got to look at all the damage to all the vehicles, look at the markings on the roadway and try to figure out the damage on the cars and witness statements what occurred and piece it together," said Trooper Melinda Bondarenka with Pennsylvania State Police.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.