MCKEESPORT, Pa. - Sam Davis won four Super Bowls with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a guard in the 1970s. He was found dead at a local personal care home hours after he was reported missing. State officials said they're now investigating the facility.
Officials with the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services said they're looking into the New Life Care Personal Home in McKeesport, Pennsylvania.
In the last nine years, inspections of the facility found a number of violations including a gas can found in a smoking area, six resident records not containing pictures and urine stored with food in the pantry.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
The owner told Channel 11 he cannot make a statement because the investigation is ongoing.
Davis' family sent Channel 11 a statement saying in part "We do still have a lot of questions and concerns surrounding the passing of our father. But now, we want to focus on our father's legacy and say goodbye properly."
Funeral and viewing arrangements are set for Tuesday.
- Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger out for season after elbow injury
- It's just a drill: You might see low-flying helicopters, hear explosions this week in Pittsburgh
- School custodian comforts student with autism in heartwarming viral photo
- VIDEO: girl, 10, contracts brain-eating amoeba while swimming in river, family says
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.