Security concerns linger three months after US Capitol insurrection

WASHINGTON, D.C. — It has been three months since the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and talks are continuing about how to improve security.

So far, more than 300 people have been charged in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Friday’s deadly attack outside the Capitol that killed U.S. Capitol Police officer William Evans and injured another has only heightened concerns.

Evans was the second USCP officer to be killed this year.

Officer Brian Sicknick died from injuries he suffered after responding to the insurrection, according to police.

“January 6th was absolutely disheartening,” said Joshua Skule, Senior Vice President for Allied Universal and retired FBI agent.

Skule, who had more than two decades with the bureau, said it’s critical for law enforcement to have enough resources to respond to these kinds of attacks.

The head of the Capitol Police union has said the department is significantly short-staffed.

“Getting to the recommended staffing level to make sure that they can cover all the security vulnerabilities that exist at the Capitol are essential,” Skule said.

Lawmakers are now weighing the balance between security and liberty, looking into whether physical barriers like the fencing and concrete barricades are needed long term.

Some of the National Guard presence and the fencing put in place after the insurrection had been scaled back before Friday’s attack.

Skule is urging law enforcement to continue to evaluate crisis planning.

“Have you done an after action to see whether or not you, whether private or public, would have been able to sufficiently communicate, convey the threat information, evacuate personnel where appropriate, have the right security resources in place?” Skule said. “I think all of that is something that is frankly more important today than we have seen in recent history with all that’s going on.”