A California sheriff says the suspect in the shooting death of a police officer is in United States illegally.
Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson told reporters Thursday that authorities have identified a suspect but didn't name him. Authorities are still searching for the attacker.
Christianson's agency is leading the investigation into the slaying of Cpl. Ronil Singh of the small-town Newman Police Department.
The sheriff says Singh pulled over the attacker as part of a DUI investigation Wednesday and that the officer fired back to try to defend himself.
- Police hunt for prisoner who escaped from magistrate's office
- Driver killed in Parkway West crash is missing man last seen Christmas Eve
- 6 customers draw guns on men attempting to steal tools
- Police: Man Kills Mother on Christmas, Claims She Was 'A Demon'
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2020 Cox Media Group