HEMPFIELD TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police are searching for a man who robbed a bank in Hempfield Township Wednesday morning and took off on a bicycle.
The robbery was reported just before 9:30 a.m. at the cfsbank on Walton Tea Room Road.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Westmoreland County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Police said the man claimed to have a weapon as he demanded money. He got away with an undisclosed amount of cash, according to investigators.
The bike the man used to flee from the bank was found by police along Walton Tea Room Road. The man has not yet been located.
Below entered cfs bank (Walton Tea Rum Rd, Hempfield Twp) @ 0922 threatened to have a weapon and demanded money. He arrived and then fled w/ undisclosed amount of $ on the bicycle pictured in the comments. Bike recovered along WTR Rd Anyone w/ info call PSP 724-832-3288. pic.twitter.com/lQb9NUsHQr— Troop A Public Information Officers (@PSPTroopAPIO) November 20, 2019
State police also believe the suspect may have eventually ended up in a car after he ditched his bike.
Channel 11's Joe Arena learned from state police that there is another man involved in the robbery who used an SUV.
Anyone with information is asked to call PSP at 724-832-3288.
Hempfield Area High School was put on lockdown because of the search, Channel 11’s news exchange partners at TribLIVE reported.
- Former altar boys suing Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh over alleged sexual abuse by priest
- Winning $1 million scratch-off lottery ticket sold at local Sheetz
- Police investigating series of reported break-ins in Mt. Washington
- VIDEO: Channel 11 takes you to Nevada desert where man allegedly confessed to murdering local woman
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.