BELLE VERNON, Pa. - Eight Belle Vernon Area High School students will be allowed to attend school and activities after a Westmoreland County judge ruled in their favor in an underage drinking case.
The students, who have not been identified, were given a 45-day expulsion after being cited for underage drinking at a Relay for Life event this month.
But the controversy now stems from whether it's a community event or a school-sponsored one.
After the punishment was handed out, the students filed a lawsuit against the school district saying administrators didn’t follow school disciplinary measures.
Watch below to find out why the judge overruled the district's punishments:
- Missing woman's body found in discarded freezer
- Florida family prepares to say goodbye to newborn whose mom died during childbirth
- School board member defends himself over racist social media post
- VIDEO: Rare bacteria collection at Pitt saves life of teenage girl
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.