PITTSBURGH - An arrest warrant has been issued for a teenager accused of accidently shooting his friend in the face, killing him, police said.
Michael Hartwick is wanted in connection with the Sept. 8 shooting at a home on Fingal Street in Pittsburgh's Duquesne Heights neighborhood. He faces charges including involuntary manslaughter.
Family members told Channel 11 News Hartwick and the victim, 16-year-old Alexander Alman, were playing when Alman was accidentally shot. Alman later died at a Pittsburgh hospital.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Hartwick, who was initially detained after the shooting, lived at the home, police said. The shooting happened in his bedroom and the teens were the only two people home.
Hartwick told authorities on Sept. 16 that he was holding a pistol and Alman had a BB gun when they started "pointing the guns at each other in a playful manner," a criminal complaint said. Hartwick's gun then went off and Alman was shot.
Alman was a junior at Brashear High School. Hartwick described him as his best friend.
According to the complaint, Hartwick told investigators that earlier in the day he and Alman had been playing video games and smoking marijuana.
- Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez arrested, charged with solicitation of teen
- Steelers sign former first-round QB to practice squad, place Sean Davis on injured reserve
- Police raid home of Monroeville public works employee
- VIDEO: Cokie Roberts dies after breast cancer battle
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.