New Kensington, Pa. — Police say the driver of the Jeep involved in the shooting death of New Kensington police Officer Brian Shaw has been arrested.
Tavon Harper, who is not the suspected shooter, is in jail on drug charges.
Channel 11 is digging deeper into the Harper’s background. Here are the things you need to know about Tavon Harper:
- According to court documents, Tavon Harper is 27 years old and a resident of Pittsburgh.
- Harper is currently facing drug charges and a charge of fleeing or attempting to elude police.
- According to court documents, Harper was driving the vehicle when Shaw initiated a traffic stop about 8 p.m. Friday. The shooting suspect, Rahmael Sal Holt, was a passenger, police say. He's still at large.
- On Saturday, police executed a search warrant at a home on Kenneth Avenue in New Kensington. The complaint said two bunches of stamp bags of suspected heroin were found, as well as $2,500 in cash that was on Harper.
- Investigators said Harper admitted to living at the home and told police during an interview that he had delivered marijuana to Holt.
- Warrant issued for suspect in fatal shooting of New Kensington police officer, reward increased
- What we know about Rahmael Sal Holt, the suspected killer of police Officer Brian Shaw
- What we know about fallen Officer Brian Shaw
- People, police departments leaving condolences for Officer Brian Shaw
- Visitation begins Monday for fallen New Ken officer
- Funeral arrangements announced for New Kensington police officer
- Procession route, road closures detailed for Officer Brian Shaw's funeral
- Mayor: Officer Brian Shaw's fatal shooting an 'unimaginable tragedy'
- Penguins honor fallen officer Brian Shaw before game against Chicago
- Local law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty remembered
- Harper is being held in the Westmoreland County prison on $500,000 straight bond.
- Harper has a criminal past. According to court documents, Harper has pleaded guilty to robbery in 2011, burglary in 2010, and possession of a firearm without a license in 2009.
© 2020 Cox Media Group