PITTSBURGH - A woman ran from Pittsburgh Municipal Court and jumped in a U-Haul van, nearly hitting a detective as she drove off, police said.
Cherie White, 26, of Monroeville, was supposed to appear for a preliminary hearing Wednesday.
According to a criminal complaint, White arrived late and a detective had started the process of obtaining a failure to appear warrant.
The detective contacted White’s attorney, who said he had only become her representative that morning and would request a postponement. The detective said he would present the FTA warrant paperwork and his request for postponement to the magistrate, who would make a decision.
White was told to not leave the courthouse until after the magistrate made the decision, but she instead ran, the complaint said.
- FBI looking for three of 33 people federally indicted on drug charges
- 3.4 magnitude earthquake rattles central Pennsylvania
- Triple shooting during graduation party at Airbnb leaves 2 dead
- VIDEO: Triple shooting during graduation party at Airbnb leaves 1 dead
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
White was chased by two detectives as she ran from the courthouse and got into the U-Haul, police said.
One of the detectives said White drove the U-Haul toward him and he had to push off the van with his hands to avoid being hit, the complaint said.
The U-Haul was stopped about a half-mile away on Second Avenue and White was arrested and taken to the Allegheny County Jail.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.