SAN ANTONIO - A picture of a 6-year-old boy saluting military members in a Texas airport has gone viral as online commenters said they were inspired by the youngster's patriotism.
The Vega family was recently returning to San Antonio after a trip to Colorado Springs, Colorado, when a group of sailors passed them in the airport, WOAI-TV reported. Joe Vega said he was proud to see his son, Jace, stop and salute the group.
Joe Vega said he snapped a picture of Jace, and then asked his son why he saluted.
"Daddy, they protect us," Jace replied.
The first-grader told WOAI-TV he aspires to one day be an Army captain.
The picture of Jace, posted Sunday to WOAI-TV's Facebook page, had more than 1,300 reactions as of Tuesday afternoon.
Commenters wrote about how they were inspired by Jace.
"Best post today ... what a nice little boy. Parents deserve to be very proud," wrote commenter Barb Borgen Vandenberg.
"Thank you young man for your patriotism," wrote Kevin Burke.
A few companies have reached out to the family about making shirts with the picture on it, Joe Vega said.
- 1 person killed after shootout with police at McKnight Road shopping center
- Hundreds celebrate life of Pittsburgh Officer Calvin Hall at funeral service
- House demolition lends itself to spider joke, goes viral on social media
- VIDEO: Body of man missing for 10 years found behind cooler at closed supermarket
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.