OCEAN CITY, Md. - A beached whale that drew a crowd of onlookers Sunday morning along an Ocean City beach has died.
The juvenile sperm whale was found around 6:45 a.m., the Baltimore Sun reported.
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources and Ocean City police will remove the marine mammal from the beach. Researchers will then conduct a necropsy to determine its cause of death.
“As you can imagine, this has been a challenging day for not only Aquarium responders and partners, but all those on the beach throughout the morning,” an aquarium spokesperson told the Sun.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Father of child beaten, punctured by needles speaks after suspect turns himself in
- Aquarium: Beached whale on Maryland coastline is dead
- Boy, 13, missing from Pittsburgh neighborhood; police ask for help finding him
- VIDEO: Girl, 10, contracts brain-eating amoeba while swimming in river, family says
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.