In a news release Sunday, the National Park Service said the bust was stolen either late Saturday or early Sunday from the foot of the Wright Brothers Monument. The heavy granite base, on which the bust was mounted, was toppled over and damaged.
- Carrie Underwood surprises local high school athletes with donation/a>
- Tense moments at ‘Joker' movie in Ohio, man subdued by patrons
- Boil water advisory expanded, some people asked to conserve water
- VIDEO: Mysterious lights in sky off North Carolina’s Outer Banks caught on video
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The copper reproduction bust of Orville Wright, located at the foot of the Wright Brothers Monument, was stolen, and the heavy granite base that the bust was mounted to was toppled over and damaged last evening or early this morning. We need your help.https://t.co/qdf5B8mSxM pic.twitter.com/U2SVfn1knV— Wright Brothers National Memorial (@WrightBrosNPS) October 13, 2019
The case is being investigated by National Park Service rangers and local law enforcement officials, according to the news release. Officials are asking that anyone with information call the Dare County Community CrimeLine or the National Park Service's Investigative Services Branch.
The Big Kill Devil Hill will be closed to visitors during parts of Sunday while the investigation continues, WCTI reported.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.