Police in Arizona are calling the driver of a Chevrolet Cruz a hero for plowing into a driver who nearly hit a couple pushing a stroller across the street.
The Phoenix Police Department posted video of the incident from last week on its Facebook page.
- LIVE UPDATES: Protesters blocking downtown streets ahead of President Trump's arrival
- Horror experience has 40-page waiver, medical check and is too scary to finish
- Gambling addiction caused McDonald's general manager to steal $241K from restaurant, complaint says
- VIDEO: Police in riot gear make arrests amid protests ahead of President Trump's visit
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The video shows the family crossing the street when a Jeep runs the light with the family directly in its path.
The driver of the Chevrolet Cruz then speeds up and hits the Jeep just seconds before it hit the family.
The 23-year-old driver of the Jeep, Ernesto Otanez Oveso, and a woman then took off running after the accident, police said.
Police later caught Oveso, who has been charged with DUI and aggravated assault. Police also found a gun in the Jeep and charged him with prohibited possession.
Investigators said they have not been able to find the woman who was with Oveso.
As for the driver of the Cruz, police only identified her as a 27-year-old woman. They said she ended up with some injuries from the wreck but none of them was considered to be life-threatening.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.