A 500-pound bomb the United States dropped during a bombing raid over Italy during World War II didn’t explode -- until Sunday.
The bomb was found near a cathedral in Balzano, not far from a train station, the likely intended target, during construction of a shopping center, the ANSA news agency reported.
About 4,000 people were evacuated while experts spent more than three hours defusing the bomb before it was taken to a controlled site and detonated, online newspaper Neue Suedtiroler Tageszeitung reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo facing charges after 'domestic situation' with girlfriend
- Man dead, 2 women taken to hospital after shooting in Wilkinsburg, police say
- 2 people taken to hospital, roadway shuts down after car crash on Tri-Boro Expressway
- VIDEO: Stolen car suspect taken away in stretcher after hours-long standoff with SWAT team
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.