One person was struck by lightning and seven others nearby were also injured by the impact Sunday, officials said.
A group of people was at Clearwater Beach near Frenchy’s Rockaway restaurant when a man was struck by lightning around 12:42 p.m., causing him to have a heart attack, officials said.
- Costa Rican government issues warning on tainted alcohol, at least 19 dead
- Father killed after wave breaks his neck at North Carolina beach
- Troopers speak out against 'exit jumping' along interstates
- VIDEO: Police hold End of Watch Ceremony for Officer Calvin Hall
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
He was taken to a hospital and is in critical condition, officials said. Another person was taken to a hospital with burn injuries. Three others were taken to a hospital with unknown injuries. Another three people refused transport.
Lifeguards had left their towers around 12:30 p.m. as severe thunderstorms began to roll through the area.
“Beachgoers should take cover and go to a safe place when lightning and thunder are present,” officials said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.