NEW YORK - A North Carolina grandmother was arrested at New York's LaGuardia Airport on Monday after TSA agents said they detected a loaded gun in her suitcase as it went through security, WABC reported.
The woman, who was traveling with two of her grandchildren, told authorities she did not know the weapon was in her suitcase, which she said she borrowed, WPIX reported.
TSA official said the gun was loaded with six bullets, including one in the weapon's chamber, WNBC reported. The gun was discovered when the red roller-bag style suitcase was scanned by the checkpoint X-ray machine, the television station reported.
Port Authority police arrested her on a weapons charge, WABC reported.
According to TSA, airline passengers are allowed to travel with firearms in checked baggage if they unloaded, declared and properly packaged. The weapon also must be packed in a hard-sided case and locked, TSA said.
- Off-duty Pittsburgh officer shot while visiting friends has died
- Trending 'aged' photo app raises privacy concerns
- Florida man makes sign after panhandler rejects his job offer
- VIDEO: Norwin sophomore identified as teen killed in fall at YMCA camp
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.