• Health officials warn of measles exposure in Las Vegas

    By: Ann Smajstrla, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:
    LAS VEGAS -

    Health officials in Nevada are warning anyone who may have visited Las Vegas earlier this month that they could have been exposed to the measles.

    >>Read more trending news

    A person with a confirmed case of measles visited several Las Vegas businesses between Aug 2 and Aug. 6, according to a statement from the Southern Nevada Health District. The person was a visitor and not a resident. There haven't been any reports of measles cases in area residents, the statement said.

    While in Las Vegas, the person with measles visited Slice of Las Vegas, the Luxor Hotel and Casino Registration Area, Lupo by Wolfgang Puck, Bay Essentials Convenience Store, Backstage Deli and Aureole.

    "People who may have been exposed should also contact their health care providers if they develop a rash with fever or other symptoms consistent with measles within 21 days after their visit to these locations," the statement said. "It is recommended that anyone with symptoms contact a health care provider’s office before entering a health care facility to allow the facility to make appropriate arrangements to ensure the illness is not spread."

    Measles is a highly contagious virus that can cause a rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Severe cases of measles can cause complications like brain damage or death, according to the CDC.

    Next Up: