DANVILLE, Ind. - A 20-year-old driver fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into the iconic “Mayberry car,” which is parked in front of a “The Andy Griffith Show” themed-diner, police said.
The man told police he awakened after his Honda CRV ran into the rear of the television show police car around 6:50 a.m., investigators said.
Authorities do not believe drugs or alcohol are involved.
The car is parked in front of the Mayberry Cafe, a restaurant that serves menu items like the Barney Burger and Aunt Bee’s Famous 3 Piece Fried Chicken Dinner as episodes of the classic show are broadcast on televisions.
This is the second time in two months the parked vintage Ford Galaxie has been damaged in a car accident.
A 26-year-woman ran into the vehicle around 4:30 a.m. April 26, then fled, police said. Investigators later tracked her down and charged her with driving under the influence, the Indianapolis Star reported.
- 7th American tourist dead in Dominican Republic while celebrating her birthday
- 4,600 cases of Pillsbury flour recalled over possible E. coli contamination
- Harry Potter festival coming to Pittsburgh
- VIDEO: Man who gave free 'Dad Hugs' during Pittsburgh Pride goes viral
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.