Prom dresses are usually elaborate and fancy, but an Illinois high school senior designed a simple dress that paid tribute to fallen servicemen.
Aubrey Headon, 19, of Rochelle, created a dress that was comprised of ribbons with the names of 25 Marines from the 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment from Camp Pendleton, California, WIFR reported.
- Federal, local law enforcement stop domestic terror attack, reports say
- Former VP Joe Biden to kick off first campaign rally in Pittsburgh on Monday
- Woman found guilty in deadly hit-and-run on Babcock Boulevard
- VIDEO: Man dies after being dragged for blocks in hit-and-run
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
One ribbon bore the name of Tyler Smith, a Rochelle resident who died in a drowning accident in September, the television station reported.
Headon ran track and field for Rochelle High School. She said she was proud to wear the dress on prom night.
"It makes me feel proud because these guys fell over in Afghanistan for us to live how we do and do what we do every day,” Headon told WIFR. “Their lives ... and their memories need to carry on so that they don't fade into nothing.”
© 2019 Cox Media Group.