JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit is investigating an infant girl found dead in a van at a day care Wednesday afternoon.
Police have Ewing's Love & Hope Preschool & Academy on Lenox Avenue roped off.
- Mega Millions ticket worth $5 million sold in Allegheny County
- Armor, ammunition among items found in home after SWAT situation
- Woman dies, leaves instructions to have beloved, healthy pet euthanized, buried with her
- VIDEO: Massive water main break floods part of Strip District
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
JSO Assistant Chief of Major Crimes Brian Kee said police were called to the scene just after 1 p.m. The child was found in a car seat in the back of the day care van not breathing.
Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department personnel tried reviving the child, who was later taken to Wolfson Children's Hospital.
Police estimate that the child was in the van, which was parked in the sun from around 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Kee said the girl's death appears to be heat-related.
Kee said the day care picks up some children to transport them to the day care while some are dropped off by their parents.
The day care has about 14 children total. No other children were hurt.
Investigators are meeting with the state attorney's office to determine what charges are appropriate.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.